Chlorpheniramine maleate has several important effects and thus several uses. Most obviously, this medication is an antihistamine and it is used for acute inflammatory and allergic conditions such as:
• Snake bites
• Vaccination reactions
• Blood transfusion reactions
• Bee stings and insect bites
• The management of itchy skin
Chlorpheniramine maleate is frequently included in antihistamine trials for allergic skin disease. Its availability and inexpensiveness make it worth trying in many cases.
Chlorpheniramine maleate has a strong anti-nausea side effect, which makes it helpful in treating motion sickness.
Chlorpheniramine maleate causes drowsiness in animals just as it does in people and can be used as a mild tranquilizer. Some argue that it is the drowsiness side effect that makes this medication appear to be helpful in itch management (i.e., patients scratch less because they are sleeping more.)
Chlorpheniramine maleate is typically administered 2 to 3 times daily.
Note: Contents of sustained-release capsules may be placed on food, but should not be allowed to dissolve before ingestion.
1. 4-8 mg (maximum of 0.5 mg/kg) PO q8-12h PO; many clinicians use as adjunctive treatment of chemotherapy of mast cell tumors
2. 4-12 mg (total dose) bid-tid
3. Itchy Skin Allergies: As a trial for pruritus in atopic dogs: 0.4-0.8 mg/kg bid-tid (0.18-0.36 mg/lb 2-3 times a day)
4. As a mild sedative: 0.22 mg/kg PO q8h; 4-20 mg (total dose per day) divided q8-12h
1. 2-4 mg per cat q12h PO
2. 2-4 mg per cat q12-24h PO
3. Most common dosage in cats is: 2 mg per cat bid-tid
4. For pruritus: 2-4 mg/ cat twice daily; rarely may be maintained on once daily dosing. Palatability may be enhanced by dipping the split tablet into tuna fish "juice", butter or petrolatum; placing split tablets into empty gelatin capsules or sprinkling or mixing timed release beads (partial contents of an 8 mg capsule) with food.
5. As a mild sedative: 1-2 mg per cat q12-24h (low dose), 2-4 mg/cat PO q12-24h (high dose)
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!